Why exercise can be bad for you...
Now we’re not saying to forget exercise, put your feet up and order a pizza - as tempting as that may seem. But it is important to find a form of exercise that is right for you.
It’s well known that cardiovascular exercise (you know, the stuff that really gets your heart pumping!) reduces stress, supports weight loss and helps us live healthier, happier lives. But that doesn’t mean going for a 10 mile run is necessarily good for you!
High-impact running can put about four to eight times more pressure on your knees than walking* so if you're 70kg and start running, your knees are feeling about 280kg to 560kg of pressure. Cycling on the other hand is a non-impact exercise which simply means that your body weight is not multiplied through your joints.
Susie Thomas, a physiotherapist in her former life, found that she was continually recommending cycling to patients, especially if they had injuries or joint degeneration, as low impact cycling will help to strengthen the muscles and avoids causing more damage. Susie says that she was often faced with resistance to the idea of hopping on a bike and going for a ride on the open road. Do these excuses sound familiar?
- I don’t have a bike
- I’m scared to go out on the roads
- It takes too long to go on a bike ride
- I don’t have the motivation to do it on my own
That’s where indoor cycling has the answers…
- You don’t need a bike, its right there in the studio! Go Revolution has top of the range bikes with much comfier seats than a normal road bike. Much kinder on the ‘derrière’.
- You don’t need to worry about cars and traffic in a studio. It’s perfectly safe and the only lights you'll see is our high tech LED lighting - no stopping for traffic lights here!
- Our indoor cycling classes only take 45minutes and in that time you can burn well over 500 calories. A great workout that is much more effective than a ride on the roads.
- If it’s motivation you need - you’ll get tons of it at Go Revolution. You ride together using the beat of the music with inspiring instructors guiding you in your workout. We have amazing motivating playlists and because we strive to create a community feel from the minute you walk in the door, you’ll quickly feel like you are working out with your best friends!
So if you feel your running days are numbered, all be it temporarily, don’t rule out cycling as a perfect alternative to get fit and improve the condition of your joints. No more excuses…book a class and see for yourself.
Join us in our handy Harrogate City Centre location for a spin. Start the journey, take the ride!
* according to the Chester Knee Clinic & Cartilage Repair Centre.